Re: [RFI] Mystery 70 cm Repeater Input RFI/EMI?

To: <rfi@contesting.com>, <digital-conjurers@roadrunner.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Mystery 70 cm Repeater Input RFI/EMI?
From: "Jim P" <jvpoll@dallas.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 13:13:50 -0700
APS-145; observable using a receiver set for AM (the mode, not
'the band') while tuning the 420 - 450 MHz band (a band which
we share with military users.)

I performed an experiment (several years back now) one afternoon
that utilized two AM-mode capable 440 MHz receivers each with
its own Yagi antenna pointing in different directions; I was able to
note that the 'popcorn' noise moved from from one receiver to the
other as the 'platform' flew whatever pattern it was flying

For years several of us in this area (north central Texas) have
noticed the same kind of random, popcorn noise, and had
always chalked it up to intermittant power-line pops and
crackles.

Occasionally the mode would change and a wideband
whining sound could be heard that would really tear up a
number of UHF repeaters simultaneously in the area, but
most operators thought only *there* machine was being
affected.

I might also mention that that 'sound' recording is
exactly the kind of popping that we heard on weak
signals.

http://www.4engr.com/product/catalog/11234/index.html

Jim P // WB5WPA //