Re: [RFI] Testing & Comparing Compact Fluorescents?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Testing & Comparing Compact Fluorescents?
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:28:23 -0400
I wrote:

 > P.S.  I recently bought a 4-pack of GE CFLs at Wal-Mart,
 > plugged one in and listened with my Sony 2010.  Hearing an
 > S9+ birdie on 1830 kHz, I immediately returned it to Wal-Mart.

N3OX replied:

 >Was that with the radio very near the bulb?

 >Well, I know you didn't get your 160m totals by letting even a whiff
of interference in anywhere near your house ;-)

         Correct on both counts Dan.  My standard test is to use
the Sony 2010 with whip antenna to locate noise sources within
my house.  If I get significant noise (i.e. S9) I fix or remove
the device.  Since a couple of my Beverages run near my house,
I can detect new noise sources and then immediately walk through
the house with my 2010 noise sniffer.  The only solution I ever
found to my DirecTV receiver noise was to completely unplug it
whenever I needed complete silence (the unit generated noise even
when "Off"...have since unsubscribed for other reasons).

         Below is a direct response I got from W1MB at ARRL.  He
is apparently not on this reflector so his post may not appear
here even though he did copy the list.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV

Bill,

We did indeed check a bunch of these CFLs for RFI.  I went to the local
WalMart and purchased several different brands and wattages for the
experiment.  We checked them with a LISN and at W1AW and found them to
be very quiet.

Since the testing was somewhat informal, and the levels we saw were way
below the applicable FCC limits, we really didn't compile the data.  The
levels we saw were low enough that more formal testing didn't seem
warranted.  Just as an FYI, we'll be doing some more testing, probably
in the first part of next year.  We are presently improving our
capability to measure conduced emissions per industry standards.

Mike Gruber, W1MG
ARRL Lab