Re: [RFI] Rain induced static

To: "Don Moman VE6JY" <ve6jy.1@gmail.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Rain induced static
From: "Jim P" <jvpoll@dallas.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 21:04:17 -0600
Hi Don.

I think the problem lies with any liquid precip that is
present; IIRC on past study of this subject air with
higher relative humidty has a *higher* breakdown
voltage (see the references below for more detailed
observations)..

High relative humidities will afect the conductivity of
anything that is hygroscopic, like paper, and affects
the conductivity.

References, courtesty of the Tesla 'coilers' we have:

http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2003/November/msg00428.html

"Water vapor has a higher breakdown strength than air, so a
  mixture of water vapor and air (i.e. higher humidity) has a
  higher breakdown voltage, especially if you normalize for
  density (water vapor is 18 (g/22.4 l) vs air is 29 (g/22.4 l)),
  which is what the breakdown curves really are in (the
  Paschen relation is really in terms of the product of density
  and distance). H2O also recombines very quickly after
  dissociation, which increases it's breakdown strength (less
  likely that there are free ions floating around to support an
  avalanche)

http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2003/November/msg00417.html

"Humidity has a greater impact on long spark/streamer development
 than for short gaps. Increasing the water vapor content has the
 effect of increasing the terminal voltage that's necessary to make the
 transition from a corona discharge to a propagating streamer."

Jim P // WB5WPA //