Re: [RFI] PC Power Supply Noise

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] PC Power Supply Noise
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 19:17:44 -0800
On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 19:43:33 -0600, W0UN -- John Brosnahan quotes K6NA:

>but after I ran coax braid from the
>computer chassis to the station ground buss to get everything at the same
>potential, I needed only one or two chokes to finish the job.

Because at RF, resistance is a relatively small part of the braid's
impedance and inductance reactance is the major component, that coax braid
mainly reduces the lowest frequency components of the noise (which is
certainly worth doing, because it reduces hum and buzz). In other words,
everything is only "at the same potential" at low frequencies, not higher
ones.

73,

Jim K9YC