Re: [RFI] Strange RFI

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Strange RFI
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 07:31:06 -0500
About 15 years ago, I ran into something very similar, except that it was
on 80M.  Same asymmetrical frequency distribution, in particular, but in my
case there were two peaks, one at about 3515 and one above 3700.  Since I
was trying to finish 5BDXCC from a townhouse, it was an issue!

I used a portable radio to track it to a neighbor's house - fortunately he
was agreeable, so we went around the house "sniffing" for the source.  As
we went upstairs, he turned on a bathroom light, and the noise suddenly
disappeared!  Turned it off, and the noise was back.  Just some ordinary
incandescent bulbs, no dimmer, an ordinary 72-cent Leviton switch.  But I
changed out the switch, and the noise went away.

A few weeks ago I discovered another similar noise source in another
neighbor's house - this one was on a 3-way circuit (one kitchen light, two
switches).  Same cure.

I have no idea what mechanism might be involved, but there you have it.

73, Pete