Re: [RFI] TV RFI - an update

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] TV RFI - an update
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 12:15:36 -0800
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 12:46:23, Hardy Landskov wrote:

>I have never solved a VCR interference problem. Solution: I don't operate
>when the VCR is on.

The most common path for HF RF into a VCR is common mode current on the
antennna leadin coupling via a "pin 1 problem" in the VCR. This is
especially true on the lower HF bands. Study the section in my RFI tutorial
about choking common mode current and you'll solve these problems. Hint: A
good starting point is a serious multiturn toroidal choke on the antenna
feedline to the VCR, and may also require chokes on other leads. Especially
on the higher HF bands (20-10), shorter leads (audio and video
interconnects) may excite a "pin 1 problem."

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

Obviously, other cables may also couple RF, and there can also be shielding
problems, but the MAJOR coupling for the lower HF bands is the "pin 1
problem."

73,

Jim Brown K9YC