Re: [RFI] BrightHouse & RFI?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] BrightHouse & RFI?
From: Tim Groat <tcgroat@mesanetworks.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 08:30:18 -0600
That's true in part, but there's a catch. Digital broadcasts use an
error-correction code so that low levels of interference still allow
perfect reception. But if enough bits get scrambled, the error
correction can't determine what the correct bit pattern is. Like packet
radio, each data block is decoded perfectly or not at all. There's no
"fuzzy" digital picture with a poor signal; it's either intact or has
obvious drop-outs.

Those effects cause an abrupt transition from good reception to
unacceptable reception on a digital TV receiver. The conversion from
analog to digital broadcasting will effectively cut off "fringe areas"
over-the-air reception. It also means there's no minor cases of TVI:
either you have no TVI, or an irate neighbor. May we all fall into the
first category!

--Tim (KR0U)