Re: [RFI] RFI

To: "RFI@contesting.com" <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 18:33:03 -0700
On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 18:21:18 -0700, pfizenmayer wrote:

>only problem I had was at a KW on 40 cw but my sloping dipole was only
>about 20 feet from the modem - and I had long runs of RG6 to front of house
>(modem and telco input line is in hamshack room). Funny thing is the system
>has two RF outputs to TV with three video channels CH6 ,7 and 13  and
>remotes for each channel so you can look at any one of the streams - I ONLY
>clobbered the line running to the front room - which is CH 7 . I have the
>ch6 stream next to the rig and no problem - so I figured just swap te RF
>outputs  - nope - same problem.

That's because the cause is common mode current on the coax, not the RF
frequency that you're using. In other words, the coax is acting like a long
wire antenna.

>I put high passes at both ends of the line
>to front room , tried a string of ferrite beads from a Palomar balun kit at
>both ends - nothing helped.I also have a fair AC line filter feeding the
>modem - Isobar 6 ULtra.

I wouldn't expect a string of beads to do much on 40M -- you need a coil of
coax on a suitable toroid to get enough impedance at that frequency to make a
dent in the current. See http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

Glad the rotary dipole solved it (to be expected, it's further away), and
it's probably a better XMIT antenna to boot!

73,

Jim K9YC