[RFI] Intermittent Noise Floor Raising

To: RFI Reflector <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Intermittent Noise Floor Raising
From: Jason Hissong <jhisson1@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 11:01:45 -0400
Hi guys,

I recently put up a VHF system and I notice on 2M, I hear the noise
floor raise to about S5 for about 2 seconds, and then goes away.  This
happens every 20 seconds.  I do not hear it on HF, 6, or 70cm.  I
originally suspected it was a nearby packet beacon (there are a couple
hams in the neighborhood) but I watched the local packet frequencies of
144.39 and 144.930 without seeing any correlation with a packet burst
and the noise floor raising.

I wanted to post to the list to see if anyone had a similar situation
like this.  The radio is a Yaesu FT857D and the antenna is a vertical
ringo ranger for 2m (this will be replaced with a couple halo type
antennas).

Thanks es 73.
Jason N8XE

--

"A long journey starts with the first step and an understanding spouse."
http://www.undermidnight.com - astronomy and astrophotography