Re: [RFI] CFL Bulbs

To: dhallam@rapidsys.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] CFL Bulbs
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:19:09 -0500
David C. Hallam wrote:
> For the first time I just read the disclaimer on the side of a box of GE
> CFL's.
>
> "Do not install this product near maritime safety equipment or other
> critical navigation or communication equipment operating between 0.45-30
> MHz".

I think that has to be a CYA like electronic equipment turned off on
airplanes.
I've been flying for years with ham rigs on board, and we've had CFLs
for several.
I've never had the rigs bother the nav or com receivers. Likewise with
CFLs, I've never heard them on any of the rigs, be they in the house or
out in the shop. I had a few premature failures on the CFLs, but overall
they really do last much longer and have reached the point where they
are about on par for cost with incandescents. (energy used Vs original
cost).

As soon as the LEDs become plentiful and less expensive I expect we'll
see people switching to them.
Then we'll save substantial power and get rid of the mercury.

73

Roger (K8RI)