[RFI] RF - Noise

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] RF - Noise
From: w4lde <w4lde@numail.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 15:40:38 -0500
Over the past twp months I have experienced S-9 noise levels on 160,80
and 40 meters with S-5 to 7 on 30 meters through 10 meters.  When I
turned the rig on Monday AM I felt XMAS had arrived early.  Noise on
20-10M was S-1 or lower and on the lower bands the noise was S1-3.

When I was out and about this past weekend I remember that there were
cable (TV/Internet) trucks all around our area running new cables on the
lower portion of the power poles and I suspected it was a connection
problem to a few homes since ours was OK.

I know that this is not a BPL situation but is it possible that a
improperly installed cable,  pole mounted amplifiers, or a bad grounding
bond between the power grounds create this kinda of noise and that
running new cables and grounds help reduce the noise?

I thought I had it tracked to a set of power poles but now that I think
about it the cable and telephone wires are also on those poles.

It did turn very cold this weekend and maybe some connection on the
power line tighten just enough.  I am trying to find a tread so when the
noise returns I'll have more information to pass on to the power company
who have been very helpful but unable to identify the problem.RF

73 - Ron W4LDE