Re: [RFI] Fair Rite #31 Mix Material

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Fair Rite #31 Mix Material
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 21:51:58 -0700
Jim,

Ok, you made me fire up the network analyzer (HP8753B).  The only cores
that I could find which were both from Fair-Rite, and in 31 and 43
materials were 2631102002 (1.025"OD x .510"ID x 1.14" long and a 43
matl. core (1.15"OD x .535"ID x 1.14" long) which are very close to the
same size.  The 43 material core I found would be slightly better than a
43 material core of the size that I had for the 31 material core but
this was the closest comparison I could find.

Here are the measurements:

#43 core: 1 turn / 2 turns / 3turns
1.8MHz  6+j27 / 23+j114 / 60+j265
3.5MHz  23+j46 / 95+j191
10MHz  61+j60 / 240+j259
30MHz  117+j81 / 418+j385
100MHz  201+j36 / 524+j421

#31 core: 1 turn / 2 turns
1.8MHz  20+j39 / 81+j158
3.5MHz  44+j49 / 175+j200
10MHz  74+j58 / 290+j253
30MHz  131+j79 / 471+j383
100MHz  207+j43 / 534+j446

At 1.8MHz and with 2 turns the 31 material core was better than 2 turns
on the 43 material core but by adding another turn on the 43 core
changed the result.  I wish I could have found identical sized cores but
the above 2 were quite close.  Granted going from 2 to 3 turns should
increase the impedance by 1.5 squared = 2.25 but then again the 31
material core is about twice the permeability of the 43 core.  Draw your
own conclusions.

My posted formula is indeed simplistic but I have used it for years when
I was at an EMC lab charging $200/hour and I needed a fix quickly to a
non-compliant piece of equipment.

73, Larry W0QE