Re: [RFI] [TVI-RFI-EMI] CFL's & UV - Hoax or Real? Real but Overstated?

To: "'RFI List'" <rfi@contesting.com>, <tvi-rfi-emi@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] [TVI-RFI-EMI] CFL's & UV - Hoax or Real? Real but Overstated?
From: "Dale Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:30:29 -0600

This from
http://www.gelighting.com/na/home_lighting/ask_us/faq_compact.htm#hazardous_
uv

Do light bulbs (such as compact fluorescent bulbs) give off hazardous
amounts of ultraviolet (UV) light?
Regular fluorescent light bulbs used in your home and office do not produce
a hazardous amount of ultraviolet light (UV). Most light sources, including
fluorescent bulbs, emit a small amount of UV, but the UV produced by
fluorescent light bulbs is far less than the amount produced by natural
daylight. (Ultraviolet light rays are the light wavelengths that can cause
sunburn and skin damage.)

Your safety is important to us; that's why, for all of our light bulbs
designed for general public use, we strive to minimize the amount of UV
light emitted.

If you're looking for a low-UV bulb for an especially sensitive area (like a
photography dark room), try our Saf-T-GardR bulbs. They block most
ultraviolet light emissions, and they're also shatter-resistant.
==============

From
http://energystar.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/energystar.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.ph
p?p_faqid=3867

Regular fluorescent light bulbs used in your home and office, including
CFLs, do not produce a hazardous amount of ultraviolet light (UV).
Ultraviolet light rays are the light wavelengths that can cause sunburn and
skin damage. Most light sources, including fluorescent bulbs, emit a small
amount of UV light, but the UV light produced by fluorescent light bulbs is
far less than the amount produced by natural daylight. The amount of UV
given off by regular fluorescent light bulbs used in your home and office
are not hazardous. A recent report from E Source indicates a level of UV
radiation from CFLs at a range of 50-140 microwatts/lumen. In comparison,
this report also sites that some incandescent products have been found to
have UV levels exceeding 100 microwatts/ lumen.

UV filters may be available through some manufacturers. Additionally, some
manufacturers have low UV bulbs in their product lines, for especially
sensitive areas.

Dale, kg5u

Just received this from a family member and wondered if anyone has looked
into it?

http://www.globaltv.com/globaltv/globalshows/16x9/video.html?maven_playerId=
16x9extralargeplayer&maven_referralPlaylistId=b21903f607126ddafaf4a2be2fdd36
c48e7fe239&maven_referralObject=3408273