[RFI] K-Com Filters

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] K-Com Filters
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 10:34:38 -0800
I'm currently writing the EMC chapter for the 2010 ARRL Handbook, and
wanted to be sure to include info on good products like K-Com
telephone filters. The webpage is down, so I tracked down Mr. K-Com,
Pete Krieger, K8COM. We chatted for at least a half hour. For several
reasons, Pete chose to shut down his business a few months ago. It
was a combination of getting screwed by the corporate customers that
made up the bulk of his customer base and some health problems. Pete
is retired from Lucent.

So K-Com is gone. KY-Filters is very much there, and I've measured
two KY filters, one tuned to AM broadcast and one tuned to the HF ham
bands. Both K-Com filters and KY filters are common mode chokes. They
provide no intentional differential mode filtering. I have NOT tested
these filters for effectiveness, only measured their common mode
impedance.

If anyone has a K-Com filter, I'd love to measure it. Please contact
me off list if you would like to loan it (or donate it). My testing
is non-destructive. :)

73,

Jim Brown K9YC