Re: [RFI] Coaxial Choke

To: Andy <ingraham.ma.ultranet@rcn.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Coaxial Choke
From: Erik Weaver <erik@n0ew.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 10:45:34 -0500
I've successfully used air-wound coil choke "baluns" on 11-meters. Five
feet or so of coax wound on a small peanut butter jar (plastic), secured
with zip-ties and black electrical tape. Works quite well.

As you know, that isn't very far from 10- or 12-meters. I've not yet had
an occasion for such a direct field test on the longer bands. At least
none that I recall.

I do agree that ferrite will improve the design. Home made 1:1 current
baluns are easy to make too, which is nice. Jerry Sevick W2FMI has
written several very good books on the subject.

73-Erik Weaver n0ew