Re: [RFI] Alarm Systems and EMI/EMC

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Alarm Systems and EMI/EMC
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 21:26:01 -0700
Jim Brown wrote:

>On Sat, 09 May 2009 12:28:05 -0700, Michael Tope wrote:
>

>>Anyone know any home security equipment dealers who are hams or who
>>know anything about EMI/EMC?
>>

>No experience with these guys, but security systems are notorious
>for RFI susceptibility.  FWIW -- that 300 MHz range is commonly used
>for garage doors and remote control of A/V systems. I don't know of
>instances of RFI to the RF functions, but expect problems with  RFI
>to other circuitry. The usual fixes are twisted pair wiring, caps
>across wiring from dry contacts, and chokes to kill common mode.
>
>73,
>
>Jim K9YC

Hi Jim,

The feedback I am getting suggests the wireless systems are superior to
the wired systems in terms of EMI-EMC. This is not surprising since your
are getting rid of long lengths of twisted pair wires when you go with a
wireless sensor system. I don't need to tell you that it is those wires
where the trouble often comes from.

73, Mike W4EF.................