[RFI] CATV Leakage? Horizonal Osc Harmonics

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] CATV Leakage? Horizonal Osc Harmonics
From: larryW8UJ <bestkoz22@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 06:38:30 -0700 (PDT)
Gang,

I've been dealing for years with strong RFI on 160 and 80 that appears every
15,734 KHz - It's hard to get an exact center measurement of each harmonic as
the signal peak is broad.

I decided to get into solving the problem, thus the post.

I've uncoupled and unplugged (from AC) all the TVs,VCRs, DVD equipment as well
as any cellfone or cordless fone chargers. I also found the RFI in the AM
broadcast band around 1510 on the dial - this using a battery powered AM
portable. I can't track down the RFI source with the portable to any nearby
pole.

[In the past I managed to null the RFI with a MFJ bridge circuit designed for
the purpose (used a short sense antenna along with the lead from the dipole).]

We aren't on the CATV system and have no CATV drops to the home. Since
interference does abate for periods (seems to happen on the half-hour
time-wise, I have speculated that there's a bad termination on a CATV port
somewhere and perhaps a neighbor's set is being turned off after their viewing
is completed.

Or, I've wondered if the CATV provider uses chargers in those DA's that one
sees hanging on the poles here and there. Needless to say, so far no response
from Comcast.

Enough already - any ideas or experiences? Thanks,
Larry Kozal W8UJ