Re: [RFI] How much RF does your power company deliver along with the AC?

To: "Christopher E. Brown" <cbrown@woods.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] How much RF does your power company deliver along with the AC?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 11:08:17 -0700
On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 03:09:31 -0500 (CDT), Christopher E. Brown wrote:

>Repeated the same but with 10 turns through a 2.4in toroid in the middle
>of the cord.

>12 to 18 inches past the choke and I have to place the loop against the
>cable jacket to detect the noise and even then it is weaker.

OK, try this. Make that extension cord 100 ft, add the choke at the point where
it plugs into an outlet, and repeat that test, going all the way to the end of
the cord. Try this with chokes tuned to the frequency range where you're most
concerned. For most power cables, the data for RG8 or RG8X chokes should
approximately account for the capacitance associated with wire size.

It that still cools off the longer cable, a similar choke on one or more branch
circuits in the panel should also be effective. For the test, your electrician
may have to leave the panel open, and he'll need to temporarily patch the choke
wound with 2 or three twisted conductors in series with the branch circuit. If
that works, he could add a junction box outside the panel to hold filters for
branch circuits.

>From a common mode point of view, it's a sort of voltage and current divider.
There's some series source impedance, probably fairly low (but not necessarily)
and probably complex (that is, at least R +/- jX), the impedance to earth of
your ground electrode(s), and then the branch circuit wiring. When we add the
choke, we cause less of the current to flow on the branch circuit and more of
it to go to the ground electrodes.

73,

Jim K9YC