Re: [RFI] RFI & Washing Machines

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI & Washing Machines
From: "Christopher E. Brown" <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 16:14:13 -0500 (CDT)
On Sun, 6 Sep 2009, Jim Brown wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 01:39:33 -0500 (CDT), Christopher E. Brown wrote:
>
>> Since every similar washer I checked was at least as bad, and mine only
>> had motor controller noise I ordered a Corecom filter brick, 10amp, one
> of
>> the higher end units noted for use on VFD (Variable Frequency Drive)
>> systems.
>
>> I installed inside the washer case where the power cord enters, almost
>> silent (90+ percent gone).  Note, the filter *only* works when the filter
>> body has a very good connection to the washer chassis, leave it floating
>> and it makes no impact on the noise.  I ground the paint off of the
> inside
>> of the chassis under the filter mounting tabs and used stainless hardware
>> w/ no-ox grease to get a good connection, then removed that panel and
>> cleaned up where the panel bonds to the base panel/frame (where motor
>> controller and motor casings bolt to) to ensure a good connection.
>
>> After that I could only hear it below 40 and it was weak, a 2.4in #31
>> toroid on  the power cable and I can no longer tell when it is running.
>
> All very solid engineering techniques, and it sounds like a LOT of work.
> The sad thing is that proper design of that motor control system for EMC
> (most of which wouldn't cost much) would make it either un-necessary or
> solvable with a lot less work.
>
> 73,
>
> Jim Brown K9YC

It took about 2 hrs of actual work, but a great deal more research.  In my
case the botton front panel allowed access to the whole lower section, to
install the filter and splice it into the power cable between where it
passed through the back plate and the internal binding posts.  Removing
the back panel to clean to paint off and make sure it was well bonded was
most of the time, had to totally disconnect the washer and pull it out.

I assume that other washers could be much, much worse.