[RFI] FW: Iginition Noise [Incident: 100111-000562]

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] FW: Iginition Noise [Incident: 100111-000562]
From: "David Jordan" <wa3gin@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 15:39:32 -0500
response.

  _____

From: DX Engineering [mailto:dxengineering@dxengineering.com]
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2010 2:23 PM
To: wa3gin@comcast.net
Subject: Iginition Noise [Incident: 100111-000562]

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center.
Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it within
the next 7 days.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

 Subject

Iginition Noise

 Discussion Thread

 Response (Bob)

01/11/2010 02:23 PM

Hello Dave,

Thank you for writing.

I have attached a link to the Ford Mobile Radio Installation Guidelines:
http://www.fordemc.com/docs/download/Mobile_Radio_Guide.pdf that should help
you with your mobile installation and ignition noise reduction. The RFI
Suppression Beads may help with your ignition noise. Often it is the fuel
injectors that cause the ticking interference and beads have helped in some
cases. Also, the coil or spark unit maybe treated with beads. Each case is
different, so you will need to do some experimenting on mobile noise
suppression. Bonding the engine and the hood to the frame with tinned copper
braids may also help.

The DX Engineering RFI Suppression Ferrite Snap Beads were designed to offer
the best coverage of the high frequency range. They come in 2 split-ferrite
halves, in plastic case. So you can clamp them on any cable assembly. We
have various sizes available for different cable diameters:
http://www.dxengineering.com/Products.asp?ID=182
<http://www.dxengineering.com/Products.asp?ID=182&SecID=152&DeptID=42>
&SecID=152&DeptID=42. Larger sizes are capable of taking multiple turns of
the wire or cable. Each doubling of the turns of wire through the snap bead
increases the interference suppression by a factor of 4. However, it may be
that in your situation, you need more than one bead per line.

We appreciate your interest in our products!

Regards,

Bob Hajdak - N8QE
DX Engineering Customer Support
dxengineering@dxengineering.com
Orders 800-777-0703
Tech Support 330-572-3200
www.dxengineering.com

 Customer (David Jordan)

01/11/2010 01:58 PM

I am very interested in learning how using SNAP-ON Ferrite Beads will
eliminate ignition noise in the Ford Sport Trac truck I drive. Where would
I install the ferrite beads?

Thanks,

Dave

Wa3gin