Re: [RFI] Working with the Power Company (was: Privileged treatment)

Subject: Re: [RFI] Working with the Power Company (was: Privileged treatment)
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 10:17:16 -0800
On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 01:05:26PM -0500, Jimk8mr@aol.com wrote:

> It was fixed the next day.

Good one Jim.

My entry for favorite story is finding a 20 db over S9 noise at W5WMU
two days before the SS CW.  It appeared to be very local and turned
out to be a pole that was on WMU's property dedicated to bringing his
power in.  I found by wiggling the guy wires at the end of the run,
the noise would break up.  Steph (N5SYF) called up the power company
and probably embellished the situation a bit (using terms like arcing).
Turns out they had a crew out down the street and they came over and
quickly verified it was one of four poles (by pulling a fuse) and they
replaced the HV insulators on all of the poles (finding one that was
likely the one arcing).

Noise was gone - they were there less than an hour.

Tree N6TR