Re: [RFI] 30m noise problem

To: rfi reflector <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] 30m noise problem
From: dalej <dj2001x@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 05:17:59 -0500
Hello Jerome,

Good .wav files and good scope pictures.

I have a similar noise here around 10 Mhz too.  I believe it is a
light dimmer in my immediate neighborhood or a switching PS used in
some type of lighting.  I did have line noise very badly here, which
was worse on 10 meters and 2 meters, we, the power company and I
together found loose hardware on a pole within a block of my house.
The line noise was worse in windy weather, very intermittent, buzz,
buzz, buzzzzzzzzzzzzz etc.  Does your noise get worse on 10 meters?
If you don't have an antenna for ten then it may seem like it is
less.  If you have a directional antenna for 10 you can try turning it
360 degrees to get a heading, it might work also to some extent on 10
Mhz, worth a try.  If it's on 24/7 it could be a computer PS or a
neighbors lights that are on all the time.  Notice houses with lights
on 24 hrs/day?  I'm just guessing of course, but these are the things
to watch for.  It is frustrating business tracking down interfering
noise.  I remember when, years ago of course where there was hardly a
local noise to be found on any of the bands, but that was a loooong
time ago, hi.  Lots of electronic gadgets now of questionable mfg.  I
wish our (U.S.) FCC would get after mfg of these devices, prod them to
spend a few pennies on rfi proofing the stuff.

I'm betting on at dimmer or switcher somewhere close to you.

Good luck
73
Dale, K9VUJ

P.S. FYI I use an Alinco DJ-G7 handheld for noise looking.  It has AM
mode, plus a 4 step attenuator.  I need a small directional 2 meter
antenna now for closer finding ability while walking the area looking
noises.  It will also tune 10 mhz.