Re: [RFI] Sudden Computer Racket

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Sudden Computer Racket
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 11:46:19 -0700
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 11:04:20 -0500, K4RO Kirk Pickering wrote:

>The problem is compounded by the cables
>and equipment plugged into the Delta 1010, which act as antennas.

Hi Kirk,

You can greating reduce the radiation from those antennas with suitable
ferrite chokes tuned to the bands where you hear the trash. See my RFI
tutorial for specifics. This won't help radiation from the sound card
itself due to poor shielding of the PC that it's plugged into, but it
will help with trash from those external cables. If you haven't already
done so, it may also help to choke other cables connected to the
computer -- thanks to pin 1 problems, RF comes out on virtually any
cable that leaves a box that has a clock. :)

73, Jim Brown K9YC