Re: [RFI] Wal-Mart to Put Radio Tags on Clothes - WSJ.com

To: <doc@kd4e.com>, "'RFI List'" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Wal-Mart to Put Radio Tags on Clothes - WSJ.com
From: "Mark Walton" <k3mrk1@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 08:27:34 -0400
Doc,
Credit cards and DL are magnetic strips (for now).
The technology that Walmart is and has been using is RFID. Pretty much the
same technology as EZPASS. I don't know if you have that in your state, but
I'm sure you have something like it.
Here is an article on RFID. There is lots of info on the web. I don't think
at this point we need to be overly concerned with security of our info. This
technology is not brand new. It has been around for a while it has just been
cost prohibitive for most industries. The cost now is getting reasonable and
I believe we will see RFID everywhere within a couple of years.
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/high-tech-gadgets/rfid.htm

Mark
K3MRK