Re: [RFI] Video output for a 'scope?

To: <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Video output for a 'scope?
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 08:34:26 -0500
To capture the RF noise signature, a scope should not be the tool of choice.
You'll want to investigate using a pan adapter on an IF port or an SDR
receiver as a pan adapter.  Capturing the noise signature requires spectrum
analysis and not a time analysis as is provided with an oscilloscope.

Using the speaker output is fine for recording and archiving the demodulated
noise, but I'm not clear why a scope would be of any value for that purpose.
If finding the noise and documenting the RF noise signature is the ultimate
goal, an audio recording and scope is of little help.

Here's an example of capturing a noise signature:

http://72.52.250.47/images/RF-Noise-112608.jpg

The plot above was taken with an SDR-IQ, netbook PC, and Palomar LA-1 loop
antenna.  Sampling an IF port in the 8-12 MHz range is another option
offering similar results.  Also, the SDR-IQ also gives you the ability to
record real-time spectrum over time to the PC hard drive for playback later
on.  That's a great way to record the spectrum of the noise signature, and
have the ability to demodulate the recording for listening later on.

Paul, W9AC