Re: [RFI] Updates on CFLs & LEDs

To: RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Updates on CFLs & LEDs
From: dalej <dj2001x@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 05:06:29 -0600
Dale,

I've got quite a few CFL's here also and have not found them to be a RFI
producer yet.  I had one out in the garage which did interfere with a wireless
intercom that used the power line for the communication line.  Whenever that
CFL was on the intercom was not useable.  I have two CFL's in my shack luxo
lamps right above the rigs and they are RFI quiet.  They are turned on for
hours at a time so they save quite a lot in electricity.

Your idea of marking the CFL's is a good one.  I will start doing that too.

73
Dale, k9vuj

On 21, Jan 2011, at 13:55, Dale Svetanoff wrote:

> [...]
> says about them.  Please take note:  The bulbs are marketed by Feit Electric
> of Pico Rivera, CA.  They are called "Ecobulb Plus" and are listed as 60 watt
> equivalents, drawing 15 watts, delivering 800 lumens, with an estimated life
> of 8000 hours.  (These specs are for each bulb.)  The home use warranty is
> for 2 years, and the cost was $4.88/each.  A prominent note on the side of
> the box discusses "Proper CFL Usage".  I quote: "Globe-shaped covered twist
> CFLs are best suited for fixtures that are left on for 15 or more minutes at
> a time."  The rest of the statement deals with airflow, no use of dimmers,
> and so forth.  I typically run those bathroom lights for about 30 minutes at
> a time at least twice per day.  A small print notice on the bottom of the box
> says that "this product complies with Part 18 of FCC rules but may cause
> interference with radios, televisions, wireless telephones and remote contr
 ol
> s."  Note that Part 18 addresses ISM devices, which does include intentional
> emitters.  I presume that the reference to remote controls is to RF-type
> remotes, as opposed to the more common IR ones.
>
> This is the first time, in my CFL-buying experience, that I have seen a
> manufacturer actually state the recommended operating conditions on the bulb
> packaging.  I've checked my other in-stock bulbs, and no, none of them make
> that statement.  I have saved my sales receipt and the proof of purchase for
> each bulb, just in case they don't last 2 years in my application.  I might
> add that my normal routine with new CFLs is to use a fine-tip marker and
> place the date of first use on each bulb (near the base, so that if it dies
> early, I'll know.  (I have a CFL flood lamp that was installed on 1-31-09 and
> died on 8/20/10.  The 3 others I installed at the same time are still
> running.)  As for RFI, I don't expect any, but then again, I'm not usually
> running those lights while operating.
>
> A final CFL note: I ran a test this morning that I should have run long ago,
> but just never found the round-tuit.  I have a Teac AM-FM tuner in the family
> room as part of my eclectic stereo system.  (It's a blend of ancient and
> modern components, with the heart being a Dynaco PAS-2 pre-amp fresh from the
> 60's.)  The AM part of the tuner uses a factory-supplied wire loop antenna
> (no ferrite core) that is mounted on a hinge so that the user can pivot the
> loop (in a vertical plane) to adjust for best reception.  Now that my power
> line issues are gone (for the moment, anyway), I can enjoy "armchair"
> listening to the major Chicago AM stations that are located about 150 miles
> or so to the east.  I first tuned in WBBM-AM on 780 kHz and noted usual band
> noise, but no significant arcs or buzzes.  I then switched on the 2 separate
> groups of CFLs (in ceiling fixtures) which light the shared area that
> includes both the family room and the kitchen (divided by a breakfast
 ha
> nge to what I heard.  Then I switched on the wall plate dimmer that controls
> the set of 4 incandescent bulbs (3 @ 40 watts and 1 @ 60 watts) hanging
> beneath the family room ceiling fan.  Aaahh - that familiar old buzz-saw
> sound!  I might add that the dimmer, which was installed by the builder's
> electrician, is rated as having an RFI filter!  Bottom line: the CFLs are
> "clean" enough for AM BC band use.
>
> Quick note on LED lights:  I recently received an interesting booklet from
> Digi-Key under their "techzone" magazine name.  The publication appears to be
> partly sponsored by Cree Technology, a major maker of LEDs and related
> systems.  There are several articles within dealing with the major topics
> related to LED lighting technology, including power supplies, thermal issues,
> and achieving color balance.  I am not quite certain how I got this copy sent
> to me, I strongly suggest that anyone interested try contacting Digi-Key to
> see if you can get one for yourself.
>
>> From the RFI perspective, one of the more interesting articles was
>> contributed by National Semiconductor and is entitled "Driving LEDs: To Cap
>> or Not to Cap".  Huh?  Well, what the title refers to is to use (or not use)
>> capacitors on the output side of the switching power supply that is integral
>> to LED lamp array operation.  Not surprisingly, LEDs work best with constant
>> CURRENT power sources, and the article talks about the design of buck-type
>> converters that deliver constant current performance AND which offer dimming
>> control!  Here is the catch:  you can not dim the LEDs using the wall plate
>> dimmers as discussed above in the CFL discussion.  The dimming control
>> signal must go directly to the pulse width modulator ("PWM") ship in the
>> power supply.  If output caps are not used, the limiting factor in the buck
>> converter design becomes the series inductor, and that allows more precise
>> control of brightness than if there are filter caps after that inductor.
>> So, where are th
 es