[RFI] CHECK your grounds.

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] CHECK your grounds.
From: Steve Kurtzman <sparkie001@dslextreme.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 21:09:19 -0800
Some comments regarding US NEC requirements for grounds.  You locale may
differ.

Your main service entrance must be "grounded" to the following grounding
electrodes, if present:

1 - Cold water pipe within 5 ft of it's entry to the house, IF at least
10 feet of the underground portion is metallic.
2 - The building steel frame if any.
3 - A "UFER" ground in newly constructed buildings, consisting of a
connection to the rebar in the concrete foundation or wire in the
concrete instead of rebar.  Don't remember the exact lengths req'd
without my code book in hand.
4 - If #2 or #3 don't exist, you need to add a ground rod to supplement
the cold water pipe connection.  The rod's resistance must be less than
25 ohms.  If not, you need to add a second rod.  Some people just put in
two rods and be done with it as the second rod eliminates the need for a
resistance measurement.

As far as the NEC is concerned, these grounding electrodes are primarily
for lightning protection.  In some cases they help stabilize the voltage
of the system, i.e. no floating neutral because of the neutral-ground
bond at the main panel (and only at the main panel).  They are NOT there
for overcurrent protection and related safety concerns.

The NEC actually mentions that the earth may never be used as a safety
ground, or current path of any kind.

Before the 2008 NEC you could run power to a second building without a
ground wire, and reestablish ground using the above electrodes at the
second building, IF there were no other ground return paths between
buildings.  As of the 2008 NEC a ground conductor must be run in the
feeder to the second building, in new construction.  Existing
installations are exempt.

You must "bond" all communication systems grounds to your service
ground, i.e. grounds from amateur, CATV, telephone, satellite etc. to
eliminate possible potential (voltage) differences between systems.

Just FYI - 73

Steve Kurtzman, P.E. W7SJK