Re: [RFI] Clamp on RF meter

To: Martin Sole <hs0zed@csloxinfo.com>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Clamp on RF meter
From: Michael Germino <ad6aa@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 10:26:48 -0800 (PST)
I built one and never worried about the scale.  I had a knob to change the
sensitivity.  At a certain sensitivity, I would expect all the wires/ cables to
have some RF.

I only used it if I have a problem.  I used it to see where the best placement
of the ferrite was.  Sometimes where you think the placement is best, isn't.

You can also see the difference that multiple wraps around a ferrite makes and
what is optimal.

You can also see what wire/ cable has the most RF on it and start working there.

This can all be done with a relative scale reading on the meter, it doesn't
have to be calibrated.

I think I used a 10 turn 100 Ohm Pot on my meter to adjust the relative meter
readings.

Just because there is RF on a wire don't mean there is a problem.

Mike
AD6AA