Re: [RFI] U-Verse problem update

To: RFI <RFI@Contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] U-Verse problem update
From: Donald Hill <aa5au@aa5au.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 14:33:59 -0800 (PST)
I just got U-verse a couple weeks ago.  It's FTTN.  At the customer interface
box outside my house, they ran CAT5 to the radio room where the modem is
installed.  From the modem they connected to an existing 75 coax run (can't
tell
if it's RG-59 or RG-6 but I think it's 59) back to the where the 75 ohm coax
home runs terminate to a splitter.  The technician replaced all connectors on
all 75 ohm coax runs and replaced the splitter with one that will pass their
data.  There are three TV boxes, each having a coax run back to this splitter.
The TV in the radio room is ethernet to the modem as is my shack computer.
Keying 100 watts on 40 and 80 meters locked up the boxes on all the TVs where
the boxes were connected to coax.  The Internet stayed up on the shack computer
and the radio room TV was unaffected.

I checked the splitter outside and the technician failed to reconnect the
ground
wire.  So I connected the ground wire.  I was able to run low power on 40 and
80
but not on 15 meters for some reason (all tests were done using FSK RTTY 100%
duty cycle when keyed).  I was unable to run high power over 300 watts.  Still
the devices connected to Ethernet were unaffected.  I ran a temporary CAT5
through the house to the master bedroom box and connected it to the modem.  I
can run any band at any power (up to 500 watts capability of my amps) with no
problems.  No problems on the Internet or shack TV.  My thought is that I am
getting RF into the coax.  I plan on running CAT6e cable home runs from the
modem to TV boxes in the master bedroom, living room and kitchen.  There are 4
Ethernet ports on the modem.  I will connect those three TV boxes to Ethernet
along with the shack computer (all other computers in the house are wireless).
I will then connect the shack TV to one of the 75 ohm coax inputs on the
modem.
I "think" this might clear everything up.

I had read archives of this reflector where U-Verse users had to change from
Ethernet to coax to eliminate the RFI.  My solution appears to be the
opposite.
The other alternative would be to run new RG-6 to each TV but I want to try the
Ethernet solution first.

Any thoughts?

73, Don AA5AU