[RFI] Interesting RFI source

To: RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Interesting RFI source
From: Roger D Johnson <n1rj@roadrunner.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 13:16:39 -0500
Recently I had a loud (S9) pulse interference show up on 160m. It
came on right about sunset so I suspected a malfunctioning sodium
vapor streetlight. I tuned my car radio to 1710 kHz and drove around
the neighborhood but failed to find any bad streetlights. I did notice
that the noise increased when going past a certain driveway with a
light on a post at the end. I got out of the car with a portable radio and
sniffed around but came back to the light on the post. Subsequent
conversation with the owner revealed that he had replaced the incan-
descent bulb with a CFL. A Google search revealed that some photo-
cell controllers are not compatible with CFLs. The owner replaced the
CFL with an incandescent and the interference went away!

73, Roger