Re: [RFI] RFI Digest, Vol 99, Issue 5

To: Allen Griffith <n5ag@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI Digest, Vol 99, Issue 5
From: Charles Coldwell <coldwell@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 07:36:28 -0400
On Apr 9, 2011, at 6:43 PM, Peter Laws wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 15:04, Allen Griffith <n5ag@verizon.net> wrote:
>> hello,
>> I just put 13 panels and inverters on line. I will gather info as time goes
>> on.
>> I already have trouble with the system shutting down due to AC phase
>> problem....bummer.  This is going to be a heck of a ride I think.  This is
>> only
>> the first full day of operation.  Kind of bumpy so far.
>

> I gather it's grid-tied (UL-listed inverters stop passing AC when the
> grid power drops ... or is crappy).

Indeed, this the "anti-islanding" requirement of UL-1741 for inverters.  The
idea is that the power company may have turned off the power intentionally to
allow work on the line, so if your home generation system is still energizing
the wires you could electrocute a lineman.

>From an engineering standpoint, it also makes sense because the inverter power
>should be phase locked to the mains; when the mains disappears there's no
>reference oscillator to lock to!

I'm curious to know, what inverter are you using N5AG?

73 de W1CMC

--
Charles M. Coldwell, W1CMC
"Turn on, log in, tune out"

GPG ID:  852E052F
GPG FPR: 77E5 2B51 4907 F08A 7E92  DE80 AFA9 9A8F 852E 052F