Re: [RFI] Horrific Ugly Noise Found and stopped...

To: "Dave Cole" <dave@nk7z.net>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Horrific Ugly Noise Found and stopped...
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 13:03:01 -0400
Dave,

Although this issue is still best handled diplomatically as neighbors, you
may want to be armed with multiple FCC enforcement letters that address
similar interference complaints between hams and their neighbors.  The FCC
archive is filled with excellent examples.

http://www.arrl.org/part-15-letters

I'm an attorney and even so, my neighbor behind me was defiant until I
escalated the issue with the Commission.  I supplied him with a copy of the
relevant law and in doing so, was accused of trying to over-power him
through my profession.  Unfortunately, unless one can show tangible
damages -- or there's a compelling immediate safety issue involved, the FCC
has sole jurisdiction over enforcement and equitable, injunctive relief.  In
tough situations, I would rather have the means to simply take the issue
through a complaint filed with the county court.  I can draft a complaint in
less than ten minutes.  But unless I can show a means for the complaint to
be heard, that forum does not exist.

Once the neighbor receives a letter on FCC letterhead, that's usually enough
to invoke action on their part.  Pursue this avenue as a last resort but
don't be afraid to follow this path if you cannot make progress.

Paul, W9AC