Re: [RFI] Mobile RFI Help Please

To: Mack McCormick <w4ax.mack@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Mobile RFI Help Please
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 14:36:38 -0700
I understand your desires to pull the noise further down -- any NB has
some side effects that can be a problem with strong signals nearby.

Another suggestion -- if one choke made an audible difference, try two
or more. You can also stagger-tune them to cover widely spaced bands.

Do you have a feel for how much more reduction (in dB or S-units) that
you need to achieve?

Other thoughts.  First, I recall that you are using very large
conductors on the DC feed from the battery.  This may be
counter-productive, especially if they are very short.  The power leads
may also be coupling mechanism for ignition noise, so choking them would
be a very good idea.  If it were mine, I would downsize them to
something like #10 so that I could wind that pair into a serious common
mode choke.

Second, what are you doing with the chassis of the rig?  Is it screwed
down to the frame?  Consider isolating it from the frame, realizing the
problems with frame bonding may be putting noise on what you're bonding to.

Third, consider using very well shielded coax for the antenna line.
There's a slight possibility that if there happens to be a lot of noise
current on the body near where the coax runs that noise could be getting
induced from the shield to the center conductor.  A higher quality,
lower resistance shield could help that.

Finally, you could try to get really anal with chassis and frame
bonding.  Depending on how bad it is, this could help both your noise
and your transmitted signal.  Or it could be a huge amount of work for
little reward. That's why I've never bothered.  :)

73, Jim K9YC