Re: [RFI] New Sears Dryer Draws Current on Green Wire

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] New Sears Dryer Draws Current on Green Wire
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 14:45:19 -0800
On 11/10/2011 1:02 PM, Alan NV8A wrote:
> If I understood the original post correctly, the current was not *by
> design* flowing in the green wire. It was flowing in the green wire
> because the white wire and the green wire were not connected at the
> dryer as the instructions specified they should be.

It turns out that the instructions were not clear, and also that there
is something connected internally to the N terminal besides the jumper.
When that jumper and neutral from the outlet are both tied to the
designated neutral terminal, there is no measurable current on green,
and there is motor current on neutral.

Bottom line -- the dryer IS wired correctly internally, but the hookup
instructions are not at all clear for a proper 4-wire
(phase-phase-neutral-green)  240V feed.  AND, more important, the
instructions call that white jumper "the neutral grounding conductor."
It WOULD have that connection in an old-fashioned 3-wire
(phase-phase-green) feed, but that would put the motor current on green.

Thanks for all the help.

73, Jim K9YC