Re: [RFI] Using VHF HT to "sniff-out" RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Using VHF HT to "sniff-out" RFI
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 07:24:33 -0800
On 1/22/2012 9:02 PM, Dirk Hacker wrote:
> A handy tool to "sniff-out" noise and RFI is a VHF HT (handheld xcvr)..with
> small directional/yagi antena.
>
> Is a 2m FM HT suited enough for this purpose ?....

My old standby Kenwood THF6A VHF/UHF talkie receives from about 500 kHz
to at least 700 MHz. An AM detector can be used on most frequencies, CW
and SSB are available in the HF and MF spectrum.

The RX is OK on the 2M, 220 MHz, and 440 MHz ham bands, but closer to a
block of wood elsewhere. I've often used it as a probe for RFI, but it
must be pretty close to a source to hear it, especially on HF.

I know that there are competing models from ICOM and Yaesu, and I have a
little ICOM that's 0.5W TX and has a better wideband RX. It's been
discontinued for at least several years.

73, Jim K9YC