Re: [RFI] Lightning Protection

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Lightning Protection
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 10:51:09 -0700
On 7/2/2012 9:10 AM, EDWARDS, EDDIE J wrote:
> So it's an attempt to absorb the strike, not prevent it.  And they also show
> them used on building roof tops probably to meet NEC code.

We don't "absorb" a strike -- it's the result of a buildup of charge
between the atmosphere and the earth, and the energy in that charge can
be massive.

The general intent of most lightning protection methods, including  "air
terminals," is to ATTRACT and DIVERT the strike into a path that is
likely to do less damage, AND to discharge the buildup of nearby charge
before it gets strong enough to BE a strike.

Tom, W8JI, a broadcast engineer and equipment designer who has a big ham
station in Georgia, does NOT advocate disconnecting ANY cables. He
insists that proper bonding architecture and lightning protection
devices are enough. His website is worth studying.

73, Jim K9YC