Re: [RFI] Dell D505 PA-10 PS

To: Patrick Dyer <pjdyer@swbell.net>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Dell D505 PA-10 PS
From: Dale <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 16:19:06 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
Pat,

For starters, go to the K9YC website and read the mountains of info Jim has
posted there.  You must read carefully and thoroughly - don't be in a hurry.
If you have any beads or cores, some Type 43 material might work.  But ... I
must also ask:

1.  Do you get the hash ONLY when using the power supply?

2.  If so, have you checked with a sniffer probe to verify that the problem is
radiated emissions from the cords and not from the body of the power supply?

3.  I am not familiar with the PA-10 pwr sup.  Is that a Dell product?  Does it
bear FCC and/or CE markings?

FWIW: I have a new Dell Latitude that uses a Dell MK947 pwr sup (made FOR Dell,
not by Dell).  I have not tried it near radios and/or antennas as yet, but it
does have the FCC and CE marks.  That means it has to meet FCC Part 15, Class B
emissions, which are still "loud" enough to screw up radios if the unit is
close to antennas.

FYI: The European CE mark means that the pwr sup (and computer, when so marked)
will withstand 3 V/m of RF.  Our regulatory cousins across the Atlantic had
more stones than the FCC did in demanding some minimal susceptibilty
capability.  I look for the CE mark when shopping for hardware.

73, Dale
WA9ENA