Re: [RFI] Noise changes when room lights turn on / off

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noise changes when room lights turn on / off
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 22:33:47 -0700
On 9/11/2012 10:13 PM, Tony wrote:
I noticed that the noise changed when I turned the shack light on and off.

This has the potential stink of one or more wiring errors INSIDE your home.

Look for all the simple dumb mistakes -- outlets wired with phase (hot) and neutral reversed, or with ground (green) and neutral reversed, light switches wired wrong, extra bond(s) between neutral and ground (there must be one, and only one, and it must be in the main panel). It's common for there to be extra bonds in laundry appliances. Look also for an appliance (or outlet, or even that light) getting power between phase (hot) and Green, rather than between phase and neutral.

It's a rare building that doesn't have at least one of these problems. The home I bought here in CA had all three.

Finally, make sure that there's REALLY a ground on the panel where power comes to the building, and that it goes to something going to the earth. That's another thing that was wrong here. :)

73, Jim K9YC