Re: [RFI] Review of MFJ-856

To: RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Review of MFJ-856
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 10:02:21 -0400
Thanks Dave for the info on the MFJ unit. Years ago I tested their predecessor, which had just a dipole, and a sper-reger receiver - not very useful!

As long as you don't need calibrated steps and you're not much worried about impedance matching, a simple variable attenuator is very easy to build - even I did it. You're right, it makes a big difference in getting down to the last pole. I also built myself a 136-MHz Moxon from a QST article, because it has a semi-cardioid pattern off the back, for narrower direction finding. And finally, I bought an Icom shirt-pocket 144/420 handi-talkie with 136-MHz aircraft band AM receive for ~$100 at Dayton a few years back. I wouldn't be surprised if even that price is high now, with the influx of Chinese handi-talkies.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, at www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000