Re: [RFI] ISOBAR

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] ISOBAR
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 18:46:51 -0700
On 9/15/2012 5:26 PM, Scott Yost wrote:
Is Isobar still considered a decent product for RFI reduction or has it been
eclipsed by some other manufacturer?  The Isobar website seems thin on specs
for noise suppresion data.  Interested in specs especially at LF.

I can't comment about RF filtering, but it's an MOV box, which is BAD NEWS on a branch circuit. Also, none of the commercial line filters do anything to kill common mode current on the AC cable (which is on all three conductors, INCLUDING THE GREEN WIRE), and the green wire must, by law, go through the box without putting anything in line with it. That's bad news, because much (most?) RF trash on house wiring is COMMON MODE.

The most effective common mode filter I know of is to simply wind lots of turns around a #31 core. I can get at least 14 turns of most common IEC power cables through a 1.4-in i.d. #31 core without removing a plug. 14 turns is quite effective down to at least 80M, and is still good on 160M. More turns is better if you need to go lower, or you could wind turns through two cores in a stack. Two or more cores in a stack also helps if you're using larger diameter cable and can't fit as many turns. As a rule of thumb, 10 turns with two cores is roughly equivalent to 12 turns through one core. That's because inductance is roughly proportional to the length of the path through the core material, but proportional to the SQUARE of the number of turns, and capacitance is proportional to turns.

73, Jim K9YC.