Re: [RFI] ISOBAR

Subject: Re: [RFI] ISOBAR
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 21:50:08 -0400
On 9/19/2012 9:00 PM, Michael Coslo wrote:

On Sep 19, 2012, at 5:18 PM, Roger (K8RI) wrote:

And a really close strike can induce substantial voltages in interconnecting
wires.  A lightning strike a mile away can induce well over a 1000 volts per
meter of wire so think what a close one can do. How much wire is just in the
walls of the house?

Sounds familiar. At our Mountaintop facility, we unplug all the radios, disconnect all the antennas
from a patch panel when not in use. should be enough……….

Last year, several pieces of equipment, two of the radios, three computers, and
several interfaces and a TNC were taken out by a very near strike. The point of
ingress was the router system for our network. Went through the wires to the
computers, then the USB to serial convertors and into the radios. Fun stuff.

Normally the interconnecting wires in a station, are shielded with the shields grounded at both ends, but newer rigs have unshielded, multi conductor control leads for auto band switching, antenna switching, amp selection, and computer control. Many of these apparently suffer from the pin 1 or something akin to the pin 1 problem. So, in theory you can get a 1000 volts or more just between two pieces of equipment not connected to antennas or the power mains.

73

Roger (K8RI)

        - 73 de Mike N3LI -