Re: [RFI] Fluorescent Light RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Fluorescent Light RFI
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 01:00:57 -0400
On 10/25/2012 12:05 AM, Tony wrote:
All:

The XYL says I've been procrastinating long enough about installing a
48" fluorescent light in the garage. First thing that came to mind is
RFI. Are there any brands that are known to cause interference? Local
stores carry Metalux, Utilitech and Portfolio.

I use both 4' and 8' with absolutely no RFI. In the shop I have 11 fixtures, or 22, 75W, 8' long tubes. These are commercial fixtures with external starters. As are the 4 footers.

In the Garage I have 4, 150 to 200W equivalent CFLs. The only thing I don't like about the CFLs is they will take several minutes to come up to full brilliance until the end of April, or first part of May. Of course as soon as we get close to freezing at night they have that problem. This time of year we might get a week of them coming on like summer followed by a few nights that take minutes to warm up. IE very unpredictable. In the cold the big CFLs now only seem to last a couple of years, if that. While in the house I've lost track as they appear to be quite long lived. Part of that may be related to the vibration of the garage doors.

OTOH I've not heard any RFI out of even the CFLs...So far!

I much prefer the 8' tubes to the 4', and any more I purchase the full spectrum and by the case. I've found their life is very predictable and it is only about half of the advertized 5000 hours. I've also gone to changing them all out at once even if they are still good because after this many years, I know that after the first one goes the others will be gone within 2 or 3 months. It's a lot less work to change them all at once. With a helper we can do them all within an hour. One at a time I have to get the tall stepladder out, move it though and around a lot of *stuff* with it taking at least 15 minutes per fixture, for a total between 3 and 4 hours.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Tony