Re: [RFI] 200 khz AC line noise

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] 200 khz AC line noise
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2012 21:29:34 -0800
On 12/9/2012 8:19 PM, Aaron Kreider wrote:
The noise is highest at the electric panel in my basement

I strongly suggest that you (or a smart electrician) go through all the wiring in your home to find and correct any wiring errors that exist. Homes are wired by human beings, and as a group, we make mistakes. Some are careless goofs like reversed wires, but others are things done wrong because the electrician didn't know the right way to do it. Many of these errors are unsafe, and most of them can cause or contribute to noise being carried on wiring inside the home. I found more than a half dozen errors in the home I bought here in CA, some of both types. Three were MAJOR, caused the system to be unsafe, and caused it to be VERY noisy as well.

There's a tutorial on Power and Grounding for Audio and Video Professionals on my website, and everything in those electrical codes applies to the wiring in our homes as well. The only differences relate to the scale of the installation -- most buildings where pro A/V systems are used are much larger, and have more complex systems, but the same fundamentals apply. http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm

Some very common problems are improper earth connections, extra bonding between neutral and ground, and wiring reversals at outlets.

73, Jim Brown K9YC