Re: [RFI] 160M/Modem problem

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] 160M/Modem problem
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 22:04:45 -0800
On 12/17/2012 9:09 PM, Aaron Kreider wrote:
I recently bought some Cat 6 cables as my understanding is that they've got more shielding.

CAT5, CAT6, and all variations thereof consists of four very good twisted pairs, each twisted at a different rate to minimize crosstalk from one pair to another. It is NOT shielded.

Twisted pair cable, in general, is excellent in minimizing the pickup of all forms of noise, whether it be hum, buzz, or RFI. It is equally effective in reducing the radiation of noise from that wiring.

If you have any problems with RFI or noise involving telephone wiring, or loudspeaker wiring, the FIRST thing I would do is to make sure that all wiring is twisted pair. CAT5/6/7 is far too small for loudspeaker wiring, but it is excellent for telephone lines, including those carrying any form of DSL.

73, Jim K9YC.