[RFI] A reply for the Power line noise experts

To: "'N1BUG'" <paul@n1bug.com>
Subject: [RFI] A reply for the Power line noise experts
From: "RFI Services' Michael Martin" <mike@rfiservices.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 05:15:46 -0500
If you receive the signal across 7 poles, you know the signal will be
stronger at the source pole. Reduce your gain to eliminate the weaker
signals. Stand at least 20 feet away from the lines at equal distances from
two poles. Pointing your yagi back and forth as you reduce your gain to
eliminate the weaker signal. Once you determine which of those two poles has
the stronger signal move in that direction and perform the same test between
the next two poles. Then repeat.
The fact that you don't receive the signal at UHF is not a good sign for
arcing. However it is a good indication of either further away or inside one
of the houses connected to one of those 7 poles. That would also explain one
of several reasons for no success using ultra sound. The first reason for a
lack of Ultra sound success is lack of sensitivity. This one is  for sure.
Remember, ultra sound is your last step and it can only be as successful as
the proceeding step. Do Not use ultra sound unless you are 100% positive
about the structure containing the source. Don't put your foot before the
crutch! Also, Ultra sound on a windy day is a mess and very un reliable.
That's like using it while someone is shaking the pole. See what I mean?
Use my "how to locate the residence" instructions. It works!
(http://www.rfiservices.com/residence.htm )
Look out for the next edition of the ARRL's RFI Handbook.
Merry Christmas,
Michael C. Martin
RFI Services
6469 Old Solomons Island Rd