Re: [RFI] Oscilloscope requirements for power line noise locating

To: ka5s@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [RFI] Oscilloscope requirements for power line noise locating
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 09:20:05 -0500
Thanks Cortland.

The terminology they use is somewhat different than what most of us would use. What they call a field strength meter in the CATV industry is actually a frequency selective voltmeter - a basic tunable receiver. Those meters have a video output intended to drive a scope, which many have used to see power line noise signatures. But exactly what is output on that port I honestly don't know. I may have to buy one and look at what comes out of that port on my 100 MHz scope in the shop to figure it out. It's probably supposed to be obvious, but... not to me.

73,
Paul Kelley, N1BUG
RFI Committee chair,
Piscataquis Amateur Radio Club