Re: [RFI] RFI on 1.8 mhz

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI on 1.8 mhz
From: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 15:35:07 +0000
'normally' grow lights are on and off on a 12 hour cycle.  I thought I had a
24/7 problem here that turned out to be grow lights on a 12 hour cycle
because of their timing and when I was checking.  If you can get an sdr and
check the spectrum you may get more info.  You could also record the noise
for 24 hours and see if it is really on all the time or goes away at some
point.  There is always the possibility someone is running 2 lamps on
alternating 12 hour schedules, or is just running one full time because they
don't know how to do it right.

You can see my measurements at:
http://wiki.k1ttt.net/2012%20Maintenance%20and%20Upgrade%20Blog.ashx#160mrfi
(keep scrolling, there is lots of stuff in there)
And of course w0qe's excellent article at:
http://www.w0qe.com/RF_Interference/grow_light_electronic_ballasts.html

I cut down the letter I used to get the attention of the neighbor here to
remove most of the specifics from my measurements, you can get this version
at: http://www.k1ttt.net/160m_rfi/cutdownletter.docx or
http://www.k1ttt.net/160m_rfi/cutdownletter.pdf  note that the specifics of
how I found it have been cut out as well as other observations of the noise,
you should fill in your own tracking info in place of that... and also the
parts highlighted in yellow would only apply if your case has the
characteristics of a grow lamp.  I think some of the rest would be good to
help incentivize someone who doesn't understand the problem.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net