[RFI] Putting Toroids on the Service Lines

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Putting Toroids on the Service Lines
From: Aaron Kreider <aaron@campusactivism.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 17:12:46 -0500
How crazy of an idea is it to put toroids on the incoming service AC lines?

I've got the service line running through my property from across the street. It runs up and down the backyards. So I'm feeding most of the block (maybe 20-30 houses) from that service line.

I'm thinking that it could use a ton of snap on torroids. But I'm also thinking that this idea is very dangerous. Has anyone tried this? Could I convince the power company to do it?

I cannot move my antenna much further than 15-20 feet from the power line, due to the property's narrow width. But if I put torroids on it, I could be 50 feet or more away from the non-toroided part.

I'm also not sure if a 1 inch ID clamp-on would be large enough. Are there bigger sizes available?

My power line noise isn't horrible. With a Wellbrook (low-gain version) loop it is S9 on 100-200 khz, but more like S5 for MW and the lower HF bands with some annoying S7 peaks. I'd like to track down the source, but this is in case I don't find it.

Aaron