Re: [RFI] Solar System RFI

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Solar System RFI
From: "Mike Ryan" <mryan001@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 13:02:12 -0400
Well, this issue will be more and more prevalent as people try to go solar or generate energy via wind turbines, as they do on boats in marinas, etc. You just have to do a little on line research to see. And call Fair Rite Products..they know as well. I have this at my qth and have been dealing with it for a number of years. The cure? Move The short story here is that my neighbor who is more than 1000 ft north of me uses solar panels and a 3000 watt inverter (imported of course, no FCC type acceptance, not UL approved, nothing) and runs his whole house on the system. The inverter there is the issue. With the wiring from the inverter removed it was quiet. As soon as a load is put on the inverter the rfi could be heard 3/4 of a mile away in my car on 40 meters (I run a Kenwood 480 mobile). Just the test leads from a volt meter pugged into the inverter were enough of an antenna that I can hear it 1000 ft away back here at my house.
Trying to keep this story short...
I was able to convince the guy to let me wrap his output cables through some toroids that came from Carol Parker at Fair Rite. These were Mix 31 cores as I recall. This knocked the noise down about 50%. Carol offered to send some higher permeability cores to me, but as soon as I mentioned to the neighbor and his wacko wife that I needed some more time to work on the problem with him, he abruptly told me to take a flying leap. The FCC Field Office wrote him a letter, and threatened a $7000 fine. The neighbor though the letter was bogus and that I wrote it. A call to the office from him verified the legitimacy of the letter of course. Well, after my wife was threatened in the grocery store and after loosing some friends in the neighborhood who thought I was the problem, the trouble maker, etc., I had to have the Field Office drop the issue. My ops on 160, 80, 40, and 30 are about nil. The noise up the block is worse at night it seems perhap from this guy's system...Don't know. But early on when I was just starting to look for the RFI noise, the local power company was investigating things for me, looking for a bad lighting arrestor, or whatever. They brought their direction finding equipment into the neighborhood. They went right to this guys house. I was told by his next door neighbor who I know very well that when the guy would see the power company van, he would turn the inverter OFF to confuse them. Tell me what kind of an -hole would do that? The answer, an ex-ham who knew and KNOWS exactly what he is doing...that's my neighbor...that's the guy. I forget the brand name of the inverter but could find it if you need it. FCC will do nothing to the company selling or distributing these units. It is the END USER or the neighbor who is responsible for it's proper use and the noise it puts out. I wish you luck... '73, Mike K4CVL

-----Original Message----- From: Kelly Johnson