Re: [RFI] Twisted pair for mobile power

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Twisted pair for mobile power
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 22:01:58 -0700
On 4/29/2013 9:40 PM, Michael Germino wrote:
How often should you twist a pair of power cables, for a mobile setup?

The best answer is "always," but I don't think that's what you're looking for. :) I've never understood the standardization of both the high futility world on (glorified) zip cord for speaker cables, and of the ham world for DC power cables. Zip cord, glorified or not, is VERY poor at rejecting RF coupling, while twisted pair strongly rejects RF coupling. The differences are HUGE -- several tens of dB. Lots of RFI problems with home entertainment systems have been solved replacing (glorified) zip cord speaker cables with twisted pair.

It's really funny, in a sad way -- hams worry about RF filters on power wiring, but use zip cord for power.

Is there a optimal twist rate or twist as much as you can?

More twists per inch, and more uniform twisting, is better. Don't go nuts. 2-3 turns per inch is practical and in the ballpark.

73, Jim K9YC